Picton Little Theatre Incorporated, is a registered Charity and is owned by its members and has been home to Picton Drama Club for 50 years.
The theatre can accommodate 100 people in the Auditorium and is available for hire by Community Groups, touring
or Commercial organisations.
A History Thumbnail
From the “Picton News” July 1964
In the winter of 1953 a meeting was called by Mr T.A.Tarrant to form a Drama Club. From this emerged Picton Drama Club, and a long tradition was established.
Initially the Club held rehearsals in the Regent Theatre, thanks to Mr R Dawkins, the proprietor. But on the Regent changing hands in 1957, the Club moved to Flood’s Joinery in Ken St ,for rehearsals, but freezing temperatures drove them to the home of Mr & Mrs T.R Harrison.
Play readings were held once a month in the Methodist Hall, until In 1958 they obtained rooms behind the Marlborough Express Newspaper office (which was on the land now occupied by the “Z” Petrol Station). Always in the background was the goal of having their own premises.
In 1962 the Picton Borough Council offered the Club a section of land and plans were afoot to build a theatre, but then the newspaper advised the Club, their tenancy was finished.A member suggested the Club approach the owners of the Forrester’s Hall, the New Zealand Labour Party. The outcome of this was a lease to buy agreement.
When the Club opened its own Little Theatre to the public on 22nd July 1964, the Mayor of Picton, Mr A.E.Greig said “With only a little money and a lot of hard work, the Picton Drama Club had earned everything it possessed by it’s own efforts and also provided the town with an asset”